Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Hyde Park dunkin donuts and police kick out woman with guide dog


Karen Robinson and a friend stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts at 1411 E. 53rd St. for a smoothie. After repeatedly hearing 'hey, hey, hey' she felt a man touch her on the shoulder and tell her she would need to take Hampton, her black labrador retriever, outside, Robinson said.

"I said, 'No, I don't.' Then he said it again. I said 'I'm visually impaired . . . he is a service dog.' . . . I cited the service dog laws that allow it to be there," Robinson said.

"He said, 'I understand your needs, but you have to tie your dog up outside.' And I told him, 'There's a better chance of tying you up there than me tying this dog up there.' "

Police were called, and the argument continued, with the officers telling her the business had a right to refuse service to anyone they want, she said.

Read more here. Make sure to mention to Dunkin Donuts that you are displeased with this incident!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Service dogs provide direction and safety for people who are blind. It appears some jerks in the Dunkin' Donuts chain are blind to this fact. Not to mention arrogant, rude, narrow-minded, foolish, selfish and just plain stupid. You'd think these assholes would know the laws of the communities in which they do business.